Monday, September 22, 2014

Day 76: Hsinpu to Houlong, March 2014

View from Hsinpu Railway Station on a bright morning
 I got a nice early start the next day, and it was a lovely day indeed. The sun was bright and happy, yet it was not punishingly hot, only about 30 degrees.

After a quick hop from Tongxiao to Hsinpu train station, I got out and started my walk.

The town of Hsinpu was connected by a nice bike path along the sea wall to the next town up, Baishatun. It was a real treat walking along a nice path in the perfect morning weather.

The sleepy little town of Hsinpu



A convenient walking path along the sea wall








Bits of beach


A train themed restaurant




The fish harbor at Baishatun

Coastal scenery






I checked out Baishatun, which was yet another charming traditional town.

Charming old village

Temples ahoy


Trains a constant part of life

Guanyin, the goddess of compassion
After Baishatun I weighed my options. Just for the hell of it, I decided to take an inland route to see a bit of the hilly country that Miaoli is famous for.This was a bit odd for a coastal tracing event, but I had done so much of that. Checking out the inland a bit, while still being in sight of the see most of the time, would be interesting and add value. Off I went off along Highway 1 (the provincial one, not the national freeway) up and down the hills, enjoying broad views and unexpected sights.

Vivid colors

Factories


Countryside


Looking down at a DIY bbq restaurant



Bridges into Houlong


Temple across from the railway station
 After weary hours of trudging, I made it to the train station at Houlong.


No comments:

Post a Comment