Friday, May 9, 2014

Day 71: From Lukang to Longjing, Taizhong.

Lovely little park on the outskirts of Lukang
It was a really nice fall day leaving Lukang, sunny and warm but not too warm. The road toward the sea was not too busy, and there were plenty of nice things to see.


Neatly maintained grave



Old pillbox



An oven of some sort

Goat!

Green!
After a while I got back to the coast. It was very windy - which it often is on the west coast - and the wind turbines were spinning fast. The land use was a mix of industrial and agricultural, and fortunately there weren't too many stink generating sites.





A bit of art to break the monotony


 The flat intertidal zone ...







Road to the ocean

The big energy plant in Longjing, Taizhong
The day was a fairly normal one of trudging. But the ending was kind of funny. As I have observed before, following the coast in a N/S direction can be a real challenge, as there is little planning for the casual coast walker such as myself. What bridges there were over the many rivers and canals were often reserved for cars only, forcing me to detour kilometers inland. The temptation to take Highway 61 - a modern highway near the coast - was sometimes too much to resist. But I had never yet been pulled over by the police. On this day, that would change.

The highway bridge to Taizhong
From Changhua to Taizhong, there was a big highway bridge on the 61. I got on it, and started trudging along. Kilometer after kilometer I walked, hoping that no police would nab me and drive me back to Changhua, or worse, make me pay a fine. After about 4 kilometers of walking on the bridge, when I was literally no more than 200 meters from the exit ramp - Oh No! - a police car. They seemed to be looking for me, somehow, so I guess someone had called in a report. I pointed to the nearby ramp and asked to be allowed to finish on foot, but No! At their insistence, I got into their car, and they drove me all the way back to Changhua, missing the first exit, took the second exit, got back on the highway, and drove all the way back to Taizhong! Total km driven, about 25. Total actual displacement from A to B, about 200 meters! But they were nice enough, didn't bust me and said goodbye very respectfully and courteously.


A bit close for comfort


Back to the relative safety of the regular streets
Back on the street after a 25 km joyride with the local police.




No comments:

Post a Comment